Friday, October 12, 2012

Restoring a 1905 Singer Sewing Machine


I received a call to look at an old sewing machine that had been neglected and was subject to the weather for many years.   The sewing machine belonged to my clients grandmother and had a lot of sentimental value.   I brought it to my Annapolis shop knowing this is going to be a challenging restoration job.  Before I started I did research on exactly how this Singer sewing machine looked in 1905. With the center drawer missing I had to dig to find someone who knew just what the draw looked like. Then, I took the cabinet apart and then I went to work on each piece individually.   With a lot of thought and ingenuity I began repairing, replacing or refinishing the bulk of the components needed to be refabricated.  As you can see by the picture I am almost ready to apply the finish.  I can’t wait to see my clients face when I deliver the finished product. 

Natural Woodworks
Annapolis, Maryland

No comments:

Post a Comment